« Home | Christmas Came Early » | Once Upon a Time » | *ahem* » | Class Report Card » | Newly Computered In Calgary » | Computerless in Calgary » | Recipe Report #4b » | Great quote » | Recipe Report #3b & #4a » | Recipe Report #3a » 

12.09.2006 

Square Peg, Meet Round Hole

So I've decided that I'm not going to apply for graduate school for this coming September. Not only is the deadline in less than a month -- I really don't think that I could give the proper attention to the application, to finding a supervisor or to finding opportunities for setting up the interdisciplinary program given everything else that I've got going on. Even besides that though, I think I need to take some time away from school.

The current plan is to re-evaluate my position before the 2008 SSHRC (ie. the equivalent of the NSERC) deadline, and make a decision at that point about whether grad school really is for me. I hope that a year away from school will help me to see whether this "square peg" really can fit into a "round hole." At this point, I can't be sure if it's burn-out talking, or if the academic world is just too "academic" for me. I hate being boxed into certain ways of thinking and certain ways of doing things, and it feels as though that's what the academic world is about. Then again, I know that even the thought of one more semester is daunting, and that if there were courses I could drop and still graduate, I would -- but there just simply aren't.

So that's where I stand. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a couple exams to study for...

Good luck on your exams, Breanne. I know you to be a diligent student with high standards. Do your best, as you always do, and the results will speak for themselves. Hope we can have you over during the holidays. Give us a call when you're free. Love, Aunt Barb

Post a Comment

About

  • My Wish List
  • My del.icio.us

My Del.icio.us Tags

Recently Bookmarked

Wish List

Google Ads