« Home | Recipe Report #4b » | Great quote » | Recipe Report #3b & #4a » | Recipe Report #3a » | Recipe Report #2 » | Recipe Report #1 » | May Long Weekend » | Back in Action » | Impermanence » | Conference Details and Exams » 

9.12.2006 

Computerless in Calgary

After much cajoling (hi Mom!), I'm back to my blog, at least for this post. I really don't have much of an excuse for my multi-month absence, but I suppose stress could have something to do with it -- as my mini-breakdown in the advisor's office today testifies. Today was one of those `straw that broke the camel's back' kinda of days. After all the headaches I had with my power adapter for my laptop around Christmas time, and finding out that I needed a new battery because of the recall, there is a new problem... one that unfortunately a new $100 power adapter or a free battery replacement can't fix...

On the weekend, I was carrying my laptop around in a laptop bag I've been using basically since I got it when disaster struck... the strap broke and my bag, laptop and all, crashed to the ground. Fearing the worst, I plugged it in and all seemed fine. There was no data loss, everything was functioning, and, although the power adapter needed to be finessed in order to get it to work, it really wasn't worse than it was before. Or so it seemed. Upon closer inspection, it seems as though the part of the computer into which the plug goes is bent, and since Sunday, the adapter has gone from charging the battery most of the time to not doing it at all. It seems like there's some internal damage to the power-in, as well. I looked into replacement parts, and they cost pretty much as much as a new computer. Tonight, I copied all of my stuff off of my computer onto J's, and now I have only about 1/2hr of battery life left. There's no way for me to charge my battery, and so things are not looking good. Somewhere, I'm going to have to find the money to buy a new one. Just what I needed.... On the plus side, the new models of the laptops have a different design for the power cords -- one which won't cause me to need to buy a new one every 4 months. I still haven't decided what machine to buy, and I guess I haven't even really resigned myself to buying one (I keep hoping to wake up and have it be back to normal), but it seems inevitable now.

So... anyone want a slightly-used and non-chargeable Powerbook G4?

I think I need some sleep... no "sleepless in Seattle" here...


About

  • My Wish List
  • My del.icio.us

My Del.icio.us Tags

Recently Bookmarked

Wish List

Google Ads