« Home | Argh » | Another Gospel » | More good news » | w00t! » | Dark and Moody » | Suffice it to Say.... » | Injury Report » | The "S" Word » | "Wrapping" Up » | It's Beginning to Smell A Lot Like ... » 

4.20.2006 

Conference Details and Exams

The conference schedule for the Lethbridge RELS conference is now available, as are the abstracts. For those of you too lazy to look it up...

I'm at 10:00am on Sunday, but the session I'm in begins at 8:30. My abstract, which I don't think I posted before, is as follows:

Carpocratian Practices, Doctrines -- and a Canonical Gospel?

With Morton Smith’s discovery of the Secret Gospel of Mark, the landscape of both Carpocratian and the Gospel of Mark scholarship was vastly altered. Found within a letter by Clement of Alexandria are details of two previously unknown, 'secret' passages in the Gospel of Mark. It is apparent from the Clement letter that the passages unique to the Secret Gospel of Mark were circulated within canonical Mark. Any group reading Secret Mark would therefore have also been reading the material found in Canonical Mark. To this end, the present paper proposes an investigation into the possible uses of the canonical Gospel of Mark in the development and justification of Carpocratian doctrine and practice. The actual doctrines and practices of the Carpocratians are themselves highly debated and must first be investigated, before examining the relevant passages from Canonical Mark. The presence of some doctrines not found in the Gospel of Mark, however, present a problem with the theory of a purely Markan source for Carpocratian teachings. Thus it will be argued that the Carpocratians, while possibly using the Gospel of Mark as a source for some of their doctrines, were likely not using the canonical Gospel of Mark alone.


So that's what I'm up to the last weekend of April, 8:00am-10:00pm Saturday and 8:30-12:30 on Sunday. We'll head back right away on Sunday afternoon.

Also, on an unrelated note, I finished both of my exams (Greek and Death and Afterlife) and both went really well, I think. Also got my unofficial Latin grade; A+ and my prof said, "Great work...you have a real talent for Latin, so I was pleased to see you hope to continue." All I have left is a final paper due a week from today... which I will start... um... tonight. Heh, heh, heh.

At work right now, so I should make sure everything's sounding alright; so I'll catch up with y'all later.


About

  • My Wish List
  • My del.icio.us

My Del.icio.us Tags

Recently Bookmarked

Wish List

Google Ads